5. What portion of your trip from home to work is served by bicycle paths or bicycle
None More than half
Less than half Don't know
6. We would like to know how often you use the following means of transportation for
utility trips (trips other than recreational trips). Please estimate the number
of times you used each meaus of travel for the trips during October this year. A
trip is a one way journey, for example, from home to work.
Walk (times) Driving a car (times)
Bicycle (times) Passenger in a car (times)
Bus (times) Other (specify) (times)
7. Imagine that only BUS, WALK, BICYCLE, and CAR (driver or passenger) were available
for utility trips. These alternatives are listed below. Please indicate your
preference by placing a "1" next to the alternative you prefer the most; a "2"
next to your second most preferred; a "3" next to your third most preferred alter-
native; and a "4" next to your least preferred alternative.
WINTER SPRING SUMMER FALL
( ) bus ( ) bus ( ) bus ( ) bus
( ) walk ( ) walk ( ) walk ( ) walk
( ) bicycle ( ) bicycle ( ) bicycle ( ) bicycle
( ) car ( ) car ( ) car ( ) car
The following questions are for regular bicycle riders in Eugene. If you very seldom
use a bicycle for transportation, please skip these questions.
3. We would like to know how often you use the bicycle for each of the following
purposes. Please estimate the number of days you used a bicycle for each
purpose during October.
days to work or school days to visit friends
days to go shopping days for exercise or recreation
9. Please indicate which three items most helped persuade you to start riding a bicycle
for utility trips.
( ) Exercise ( ) Friends
( ) High cost of auto use ( ) Bicycle Paths
( ) Enjoyment ( ) It's quicker
( ) Convenience ( ) Ecological reasons
( ) Ease of parking ( ) Other
10. If you had a secure, covered place to park your bicycle, would you ride your
bicycle to work more often? ( ) Yes ( ) No
11. Do you ride your bicycle to work in the rain? ( ) Yes ( ) No
12. Does your bicycle take the place of an extra automobile in your household?
( ) Yes ( ) No
13. How much do you estimate your monthly transportation savings to be because of
14. Would you like to have an opportunity to take a cycling class to improve your
bicycling skills? ( ) Yes ( ) No
Thank you for your time and effort. If you have additional comments or ideas for our
committee, please use the space below. We are interested in hearing from you. Please
drop this in the mail soon so we can be sure to have your input for our efforts to
improve bicycling in Eugene.